Welcome To Yellow Brick Road Auctions! Follow the Yellow Brick Road to find your heart's desire!!!

 

× Bidding has ended on this item.

Private Estate Brecksville Online Auction (Closed #161665)

Terms & Conditions
Shipping Information
13.00%  Buyer's Premium
This Auction Uses Proxy Bidding.
Ended

Antique Mersman Baroque Table

  Lot # 001
Listing Image
Payment Options
Seller Accepts PayPal
Seller Accepts Credit Cards
Details
  • Condition Very Good
  • Size Size15 by 20
  • Location Living Room
  • Shipping Shipping

  • Lot # 001
  • System ID # 162336
  • End Date
  • Start Date
Description

Beautiful Antique Baroque Style Solid Wood Mersman Side Table #4698. Carved Wood Decorative Accents and Finial Stretcher with turned Legs.  The 46 Grouping was made in Celina, Ohio from 1927 through 1941. This particular table was advertised in the 1933 catalog. Photographs of that advertisement are shown in the last photograph below and the table can be seen in the rightmost shot. This information was provided directly from Mr. Willard Somers. Mr. Somers was the company's President and Board Chairman from 1977 - 1990. Prior to this, he worked with the company directly starting in 1963.  

In 1876 J.B. Mersman founded Mersman Tables, initially located in Ottoville, Ohio. Previously, Mersman operated sawmills. When the timber supply in Ohio grew scarce, Mersman switched to manufacturing headboards, footboards and slats for beds. Shortly after the turn of the 20th century, Mersman was approached by representatives of Celina, Ohio, and offered incentives to build a plant in that city. Within six months, a new plant was built employing more than 25 people. Mersman sold his company to his two oldest sons, Edward H. and Walter I., and Henry Lenartz, a local banker. In 1906 the Mersman brothers, along with Edmund Brandts, bought out Henry Lenartz. The company became "Mersman Brothers, Brandts Company." When the company was incorporated in August 1906, it employed close to 125 workers and 10 traveling salesmen. The company now focused almost exclusively on the manufacture of medium- and high-quality dining tables. In October 1927, Walter Mersman, now president of the company, announced yet another name change, this time to "Mersman Brothers Corporation." During the depression of the 1930s, the company expanded its product line to include bedroom suites and radio cabinets. During World War II, Mersman Brothers made wooden desks for the Treasury Department, benches and mess tables for the Navy, and plywood for the Lend Lease program. When the war ended, Mersman Brothers Corp. shifted to the production of living room tables. Congoleum Industries acquired Mersman Brothers Corp. in 1963. In 1977, Congoleum sold the company to Somers Corp., a group of private investors. By this time, the company's name had changed to the Mersman Tables Co. In the 1980s Mersman manufactured occasional tables, wall units and curio cabinets. By this time, some of its products were made at a southern plant in Eupora, Miss. Mersman Tables Co. ceased operations in 1995.